With cooler weather coming, get ready to cuddle up with this velvety cream of broccoli soup.
It's rich and creamy. Even luxurious. And no one would guess it's vegan.
Nutmeg lends a sophisticated touch, and nutritional yeast gives a "cheesy" compliment to the broccoli. A perfect combination.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 heads broccoli including stalks, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or 4 cups water with 2 bouillon cubes)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup soymilk (plain, unsweetened)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Fresh pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- In large stock pot, saute onion in olive oil until golden. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add broccoli, stock, and thyme. Simmer until broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to a blender, and add flour. Process mixture until smooth.
- Return soup to pot, adding soymilk, nutmeg, and pepper. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes until bubbly and thinkened.
- Remove soup from heat and stir-in nutritional yeast.
- Garnish with fresh thyme leaves.