Nothing evokes the flavors of summer like pesto. This vegan pesto is bursting with fresh flavors from basil, garlic, and pine nuts.
There are endless ways to use pesto. It's great mixed into white beans. Spread some onto corn on the cob. Or use dollops of it on a tomato salad.
In this recipe, I use a vegan parmesan cheese. My favorite brand is Go Veggie!, and it's available here at VeganEssentials.com
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 cups basil leaves (omit stems)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the pine nuts to a small pan and toast over low heat, tossing or stirring often until they're golden brown. The pine nuts will burn easily, so keep tossing and watch carefully. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Using a small food processor, start by adding the garlic. Pulse a few times until the garlic is minced.
- Then add the remaining ingredients. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- The pesto should be a smooth paste. If it's too thick, add a teaspoon of water, and process again. Repeat as needed until you're happy with the consistency.