We know you dream of a velvety and comforting gravy. So we developed this vegan gravy to be every bit as rich and satisfying as you want it to be.
We balanced the ingredients of this gravy to make it rich and full-bodied. After testing many variations, we found that using mushroom stock and red wine resulted in the deep flavor we were seeking.
Enjoy this gravy on our garlic tahini mashed potatoes.
This is the best comfort food, vegan style.
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (try Earth Balance brand)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, minced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups mushroom stock
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh cracked pepper
- In a medium-size saucepan on low heat, add vegan margarine and onion. Cook about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are tender. Then, whisk in flour until it is incorporated and the mixture has formed into a paste. This mixture is called a roux, and it will be used to thicken the gravy.
- Add mushroom stock, wine, soy sauce, thyme, bay leaves, and fresh pepper. Whisk together and continue cooking on medium-low heat for 5 minutes until gravy is bubbly and thickened.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve.