You’ve taken good care of your health all year. But wellness doesn't mean being perfect. At this festive time of year, allow yourself to have a special reward. Try our vegan chocolate cake this holiday season.
If you're going to have a treat, make it one that's delicious but not too sinful. With fresh berries, this cake is actually kind of healthy. And with snow made from powdered sugar, it's certainly festive enough to wow a crowd.
Happy holidays from Modern Vegan Wellness, and enjoy this treat!
Vegan Chocolate Cake with Berries and Snowflakes
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups cold water or chilled coffee
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced thinly
- 1 cup blackberries, sliced in half
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- Powdered sugar
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Using vegetable oil, lightly oil a 9-inch circular cake pan.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. (Tip: trace the shape of the pan with a pencil on the parchment paper.) Oil the top of the parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk until well blended. In a small bowl, add the wet ingredients and stir until well blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 29 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely and invert onto a plate.
- Creatively arrange fruit on top. Go high in the middle for a dramatic presentation.
- Using a sifter, sprinkle with powdered sugar for the look of fresh snow!