Here's MVW's yummy version of a tofu breakfast scramble. It's a 100% plant-based, high protein start to your day.
The base for this dish is tofu. Choose a variety with a medium-firm texture, not the extra-firm type. You want a bit of softness.
But the real star of this scramble is the nutritional yeast. If you haven't tried it yet, this is a great time. You'll be surprised by its "cheesy" and rich flavor. (For more info on nutritional yeast, click here.)
This scramble is great with our low-fat home fries (click here to view recipe).
Tofu Breakfast Scramble
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 pound block medium-firm tofu, drained and mashed with fork
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a non-stick skillet on medium heat, add oil, onion, and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes until mushrooms soften.
- Add mashed tofu, onion powder, garlic powder, and turmeric. Stir all ingredients together and cook for a couple minutes until bubbly.
- Toss-in nutritional yeast and spinach. Stir until spinach is wilted, just about 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.