Here’s a sweet, nutty quinoa salad that's guaranteed to light-up your taste buds. The fruit, nuts, and herbs add bursts of color and flavor to the quinoa. And the lemon brightens up this salad so it’s perfect for a special occasion.
Quinoa Salad with Fruit and Nuts
- 1 cup quinoa (pronounced keen-wah)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dried fruit, chopped (such as apricots, papaya, raisins, cranberries, figs, dates)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, minced
- 1/4 cup pistachios, unsalted, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds unsalted, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-cracked black pepper
- In a medium-size saucepan, add add quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes until all water is absorbed. Let cool and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Use a fine grater to zest one lemon. Whisk together lemon juice, zest, garlic, cinnamon, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Toss together quinoa, fruit, nuts, herbs, and dressing.