It’s always a good time for a classic, satisfying soup. Mushroom barley soup is always a hit, especially for mushroom lovers. The succulent mushrooms and hearty barley make a perfect combination.
This is an easy, one-pot soup to prepare. To have the soup ready in under 30 minutes, use a quick-cooking barley.
Cuddle up with this soup on a cool evening!
Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking pearled barley
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes with 5 cups water, or 5 cups mushroom broth
- Additional water as needed
- Fresh ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a stock pot on high heat, sauté onions, carrots, and celery in olive oil for a few minutes until softened. Add thyme and mushrooms, and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir-in barley, water and bouillon cubes (or mushroom stock), and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until barley is soft, about 15 minutes. Add additional water if soup is too thick and you’d like more broth.
- Season with fresh pepper. Add salt carefully if the vegetable stock you use is already seasoned.