It’s the time of summer to celebrate the fantastic flavors of tomatoes! For this minimalist heirloom tomato salad, we’ll use tomatoes from your garden or local farmer's market, as well as fresh herbs.
For this simple salad, the star is heirloom tomatoes. The goal is to highlight their sweet flavor and quirky colors and shapes without much competition from other ingredients or a heavy dressing. Simply perfect.
Heirloom tomato plants are grown from old seeds that have not been cultivated for commercial purposes. But they are increasingly popular. They come in a variety of colors and shapes which give them beauty—and of course a delicious taste. At this time of year, heirloom tomatoes are available at your local farmers markets. Or you may be fortunate to have a wonderful harvest of them from your garden.
Minimalist Heirloom Tomato Salad
- Heirloom tomatoes, cut in creative ways
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Coarse or kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- A few mint, basil, thyme, or oregano leaves, julienned
- Small slice red onion, very finely chopped
- One clove garlic, very finely chopped
- Creatively place the tomatoes on your plate.
- Drizzle with olive oil and a few drops of vinegar.
- Sprinkle on coarse salt, fresh pepper, herbs, onion, and garlic.