Let’s celebrate Mexican heritage and culture! And what Cinco de Mayo spread is complete without guacamole? Here’s how to make the best guacamole to impress all your friends at the party.
The best guacamole is created two ways:
- The right proportion of fresh ingredients
- Extracting flavor from those ingredients
With guacamole, a few simple ingredients can create magic. And it’s the right proportion of these ingredients that hits all the right textures and flavors:
- Creaminess from the avocado
- Brightness and acidity from the lime
- Heat from the jalapeño pepper
- Spiciness and bite from the onion
- Garden freshness from the cilantro
To make our guacamole experience extra-healthy, let’s skip the chips. Instead, use strips of red and orange bell peppers. You’ll be surprised how well they go with the guacamole.
The best way to extract flavor and juices from the ingredients is to use a molcajete, a large mortar and pestle made from volcanic stone. It has a rough surface which is perfect for grinding and breaking down ingredients.
You’ll begin by grinding up the onion, jalapeño pepper, and cilantro (and optional garlic) until they form a wet paste. Then add the avocado and mash with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Purchasing and Using a Molcajete
A molcajete is the perfect way to make the best guacamole. With it, you can grind the onion, jalapeño pepper, cilantro, and garlic to release their juices and flavors. This is the molcajete I recommend and it can be purchased here.
How to Make the Best Guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados, skin and pit removed
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, washed and chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 tomato, squeezed to remove seeds then diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper (with the seeds), minced
- Optional: 1 glove garlic, minced
- Salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 2 red or orange bell peppers, cut into wide slices for dipping
- In the molcajete, add the onion, jalapeno, and cilantro (and optional clove of garlic). Grind to a wet paste.
- Add the avocados and lime juice, then mash with a fork until smooth. Make sure to leave some chunks for texture.
- Stir in tomato. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with sliced bell peppers.