Tonight, let's gather some friends and enjoy this sophisticated hors d'oeuvre. Make your favorite beverage and let's have some good conversation while enjoying this herbed tofu spread.
This spread uses tofu as the base, with herbs and spices providing the flavor. I like this spread on crackers or raw veggies like carrots, cucumbers, and celery. Get creative and choose a variety of accompaniments to make a colorful platter.
To make this recipe easy to prepare, I use dried herbs. But if you'd like to add fresh herbs, by all means use them. The best herbs for this recipe are thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano, basil, and tarragon. Use about a half cup of minced, fresh herbs.
Enjoy this simple but yummy recipe for your next party!
- 1 package firm tofu (14-16oz.), drained and dried of excess water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb mix (or 1/2 cup fresh herbs, minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- Whole-grain crackers or veggies for dipping
- Remove tofu from package and drain water. Pat dry with a paper towel to remove any extra moisture.
- Add tofu to a medium-size mixing bowl. Mash it with a fork to get a crumbly, spreadable texture.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh herbs if you have them.