Here's a hearty lentil stew that's easy to make in one pot. It's perfect on a chilly winter evening, or anytime you’re craving a hearty and wholesome meal.
In addition to being super healthy, this lentil stew makes enough to feed an army and the ingredients are inexpensive. So invite some friends over to enjoy this stew with you.
The secret ingredient in this recipe is the balsamic vinegar. It gives the stew a surprising burst of flavor. Try it tonight!
Hearty Lentil Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1-1/3 cups dried lentils
- 1 28-oz. can whole, peeled tomatoes with juice, roughly chopped in can
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or equivalent bouillon cubes and water)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, stems removed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Additional water as needed
- In a large stock pot on medium heat, saute onion, celery, and carrots in olive oil until tender.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, broth, water, and thyme. Cook over medium-low heat until lentils begin to get tender, about 20 minutes.
- Then add potatoes and parsley. Cook until potatoes and lentils are tender but not mushy, about 10 minutes. Since the lentils will absorb liquid, you may need to add water as needed.
- When cooking is finished, stir-in balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.