Mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. But they usually have lots of saturated fat to make them creamy. So, let’s find a way to enjoy mashed potatoes that are actually healthy and every bit as creamy as you desire.
Garlic and tahini gives these mashed potatoes a rich and comforting flavor. To keep the overall fat content low, we found that adding some of the cooking liquid back into the potatoes gives them a light, fluffy texture.
These mashed potatoes are perfect with our vegan gravy.
Impress your guests with these mashed potatoes at your next dinner party.
Garlic Tahini Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds red potatoes (about 5 medium-size), cut into 1” cubes, leave skin on
- 4 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt added to cooking water
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- About 1 cup potato cooking liquid to achieve the desired consistency
- Additional salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, add water, potatoes, garlic, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until potatoes are tender and starting to fall apart, stirring occasionally. This should take about about 10 minutes.
- Strain potatoes and garlic, saving the cooking liquid in a bowl.
- Transfer potatoes and garlic to a mixing bowl, then add tahini and olive oil.
- Begin mashing with a large spoon or potato masher. Add enough of the potato cooking liquid to create your desired consistency. We found that about 1 cup of cooking liquid was about right, but adjust to your own liking. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.