Let’s create a balanced and peaceful meal for dinner tonight. Following the macrobiotic philosophy of eating, we can make a satisfying bowl of food that nourishes the soul. Let’s find zen!
The idea for the macro bowl is that you customize your own meal, choosing an item from each of these main categories: whole grain, protein, vegetable, sauce, and a topping.
Preparation of Your Ingredients
As you choose a food from each of the categories, remember to keep it simple. There’s peace in simplicity.
When cooking your grain, keep preparation easy. Cook in a pot with water (1 part grain, 2 parts water). Bring to a boil, then reduce to the lowest heat and cover. Cook until all the water is absorbed. There’s no need for special seasonings other than perhaps a pinch of salt to taste.
For your protein option, choose simple preparation like baked or steamed. For your vegetable, choose roasted, steamed, or just raw.
Find Balance & Peace with a Macro Bowl
Followers of macrobiotic eating believe that food influences our health, well-being, and happiness. As you choose foods from the different categories to build your bowl, be mindful of how certain foods make you feel. Foods may react differently for each of us, so pay special attention to which foods balance out your mood and personality.
For example, if you are stressed or anxious, notice which foods have a calming effect. If you feel depressed and sluggish, notice which foods give you energy.
Also pay attention to the balance of flavors in the bowl, like sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and savory elements. Choose foods which balance each other. In macrobiotic eating, whole grains are believed to be inherently balanced, so you’ll notice a heavy emphasis on them.
For more information about the macrobiotic diet, click here.
Make Your Macro Bowl a Work of Art
Make this bowl your own and make it a work of art. Fill it with flavors you love. Keep all of your ingredients separate so that the bowl has distinct colors, textures, and flavors.
Eating your beautiful bowl of food should be a peaceful experience. Savor your food quietly, taking time to chew each bite slowly.
Feeling the zen yet?
Options for Your Macro Bowl
When you put together your macro bowl, chose one item from each of these categories:
1. Whole Grain Options
- Brown rice
2. Protein Options
- Tofu (for info, click here)
- Tempeh (for info, click here)
- Wheat gluten/seitan (for info, click here)
3. Vegetable Options
- Greens (like kale, chard, beet greens, spinach)
- Root vegetables (like sweet potato, carrots)
- Sea vegetables (you’ll start with dried seaweed and soak it in water to re-hydrate; when ready, squeeze out all the water)
- Winter squash (like butternut, acorn, pumpkin)
- All other vegetables (like broccoli, cauliflower, peppers)
4. Sauce Options
- Tahini lemon dressing (click here to see the MVW recipe)
- Lemon juice
- Avocado mashed with lime juice
- Sesame oil (a small dash since it’s very strong!)
- Bottled sauces like miso ginger sauce or sweet Thai chili sauce
5. Topping Options
- Grated ginger
- Pickled ginger
- Nuts (like cashews, peanuts, almonds)
- Seeds (like sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, hemp)