Winter is coming, and what could be more nourishing than vegetable soup?
With so many colors, textures, and shapes, this soup is as beautiful as it is delicious. Chock full of interesting vegetables and beans, this soup is light years ahead of the canned stuff we ate as kids.
This soup is hearty enough to be a satisfying main dish. Cook up a pot tonight!
Chunky Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz. can whole tomatoes with juice, roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 4 small red potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 5 cups vegetable stock (or equivalent water and bouillon cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb mix
- 1 can white beans or chickpeas, with liquid
- 4 cups kale, stalks removed and chopped
- Fresh pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, sauté onion, carrots, and celery in olive oil until soft.
- Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Then add tomatoes, squashes, potatoes, vegetable stock, and herb mix. Simmer until potatoes are just tender. Be careful not to over-cook the potatoes.
- Stir-in beans and kale, and simmer for an additional 3 minutes.
- Season with fresh pepper.