Let’s make an interesting salad tonight. This beet salad with orange and pistachios hits all the right flavor notes.
The earthy beets are brightened with orange slices and crunchy pistachio nuts. With all the different colors and textures of the ingredients, you can get creative on how you serve this salad.
The easiest way to cook beets is to clean them, wrap them in foil, and roast in a 400-degree oven until tender—about 50 minutes. Remove the beets from the oven, but keep them wrapped in foil until cool. This step helps the peel come off easily.
Beet Salad with Orange and Pistachios
- 3 medium-size beets, tops and roots removed
- Aluminum foil
- 1 navel orange, peeled and sliced into segments
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Koster salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 3 tablespoons pistachio nuts, shelled
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme leaves, removed from stems
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Clean beets by scrubbing under running water. Wrap beets thoroughly in aluminum foil.
- Place beets in oven and cook for 50 minutes. To test for doneness, a knife inserted into the beets should glide in smoothly.
- Remove beets from the oven, leave wrapped in foil, and let sit to cool.
- Place beets in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- When ready to use, remove the foil, and peel the beets. The peel should easily come off with fingers, but use a knife if necessary. Slice the beets.
- To plate the salad, arrange beets and oranges either in a single bowl, or on individual plates. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then top with pistachios and thyme leaves.