I’d love to share one of my favorite and satisfying summer salads. This recipe feeds an army, so it’s perfect for sharing at a potluck or picnic with friends.
This salad is packed with protein and complex carbs from the beans. It can actually be a complete meal in itself, or a hearty side dish. I love the crunch from the celery and the freshness from the Italian parsley.
I use frozen and canned beans to speed up the prep time. But feel free to use fresh beans if you have the time.
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can chick peas, drained
- 1 can cannellini beans (or any white bean), drained
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup Italian parsley, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vineger
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the frozen green beans and let them blanch in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain in a colander, and rinse with cool water. Allow to drain completely, and add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Open the canned beans. In the colander, drain and rinse them well. Let all the moisture drip off, then add them to the mixing bowl.
- Prep the celery, onion, pine nuts, and parsley. Toss them into the mixing bowl.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, vinegar, and sugar. Pour over the salad ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.